General Forum for threads on Mallorca birds and birding
By Daniel Andersson
#61892 Hi!

I paid my first visit to Mallorca in late november/ early december 2017 and had a very nice experience! Weather was a bit on the rough side with snow in the Tramuntanas and morning frost in s'Albufera with a lot of rain in between. But birding and photo op's were very good regardless, and staying in NE Mallorca is very easy going compared to many other places. It's relatively cheap with good hotels and plenty of restaurants making life easy while not birding.

I had a good experience, but missed out on many birds not wintering on the island och otherwise hard to see out of season so I've scheduled a return trip around April 20-27!

I have a lot of practical and birding related questions you veterans might be able to shed some light on!

Tourism in early winter was pretty tolerable. How "crowded" can I expect for example s'Albufera or cap de Formentor to be in late April? I spend most of my time photographing birds, so I aim at staying out from early dawn until heat haze get's to troublesome, and then go out on another shift during the evenening hours when photoing is possible again.
I'm probably staying in Port de Pollensa, but if anyone knows of a small birding hotel with decent pricing or if any locals rent out rooms outside of the tourist complexes but still close to s'Albufera I would appreciate it!

I plan to visit Cabrera by one of the daily ferries, hoping to shoot shearwaters from the deck and seeing a lot of close up shags and balearic warblers on the island. Do I have to book far in advance to be able to find tickets?

There are a few key species I would like to photograph.

- Scops Owl
- Barn Owl
- Spoonbill
- Glossy Ibis
- Little Bittern
- Tawny Pipit
- Short-toed Lark
- Whiskered tern
- White-winged black tern
- Redcrested Pochard
- Eleonoras Falcon
- Moustached Warbler
- Stone Curlew

A long list :mrgreen:
I have the book "birding tourist's guide Majorca" as well as the revised Gosney guide, but they point more of to a general area where key species can be found, not so much to where great photo ops are available!

If anyone want's to hook up for a day or so it would be very nice! I'm fluently in English, but my Spanish is rather poor.

Regards

Daniel Andersson

Pics are from my early winter trip last year!

More and other pictures at:
www.skogsmulle.fotosidan.se
Attachments
147A3085-2.jpg
147A3085-2.jpg (77.93 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
147A2419-2.jpg
147A2419-2.jpg (63.99 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
147A2279-2.jpg
147A2279-2.jpg (136.14 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
By andys
#61928 Hi Daniel I Run the main website https://www.mallorcabirdwatching.com
Over half of your target birds can be seen in the spring at Albufera but also great birding at Albufereta and the Balearic Warbler will be breeding at the Boquer.Son Bosc will also tick of several species and for Cabrera book a few days in advance . If you need more more email me at info@mallorcabirdwatching.com I
I also have a friend who has a villa in the Albufereta who does bed and bed and breakfast if you are interested
Andy
By MallorcaNaturalTours
#62363 Hello Daniel,
I've just seen your post.
We run guided tours {in English) to the best birding sites on the island and also to Cabrera. If you let me know your exact dates I can tell you the tours we have planned, including Cabrera (we organize everything). You can have a look at our website (MallorcaNaturalTours.com) and if you want more info just send an email to info@MallorcaNaturalTours.com and we'll send you our brochure with all the details.

Re accommodation I suggest Hostal Oriola in Cala Sant Vicenç on the northern coast of Pollensa (a great place for birding). It's a small hotel run by a local family. It is not luxury but you will have everything you need at a good price, and it is part of the Bed & Birding network.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Pere